- Privacy and Confidence
- Injunctions involving the media
- Reporting restrictions
- Malicious falsehood
- Contempt of court
- Human rights law, particularly art.8 and art.10 ECHR
- Information law
- Pre-publication advice
Claire joined Chambers in 2016. During pupillage, Claire gained experience in all aspects of media and information law. She observed the Court of Appeal hearing in Weller v ANL (privacy / image rights for children), and undertook research for Ian Helme, junior counsel in Economou v De Freitas (first case to consider, in detail, the operation of the defence under s.4 Defamation Act 2013).
Before commencing pupillage, Claire spent a year working in the litigation team of a multinational energy company. In 2013-14, she was editor and communications manager of the Oxford Human Rights Hub, to which she contributes regularly. In 2014, she co-edited the Hub’s inaugural published anthology, “Global Perspectives on Human Rights,” and its annual report.
Claire provides pre-publication advice to The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. She accepts instructions across all areas of Chambers’ practice from both claimants and defendants.
From June to September 2017, Claire will be on secondment to the legal department of Times Newspapers Ltd.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- BA (Law with Law in Europe) (First Class Honours), Keble College, University of Oxford (2008-2012)
- Certificat Supérieur de Droit Français et Européen, Université Panthéon Assas (Paris II) (2010-2011)
- BCL, Keble College, University of Oxford (2012-2013)
- BPTC, Kaplan Law School (2013-2014)
- Residential Scholar, Gray’s Inn (2013-2014)
- Bacon Scholar, Gray’s Inn (2013-2014)
- Pupillage, One Brick Court (2015-2016)
REPRESENTATIVE CASES OF INTEREST
- Wallwork and others v McDowall and another – counsel for the Defendants in a successful application to strike out a defamation action on the grounds of Jameel abuse of process and failure to surmount the serious harm threshold in s.1 Defamation Act 2013.
- Claire has provided advice and drafting for both claimants and defendants in a variety of claims covering defamation, data protection, privacy and harassment.